Safex Newsletter No.79 October 2023
Executive Summary Newsletter 79
Welcome to SAFEX’ s latest Newsletter, I hope you will enjoy and find much learning in it. The year is speeding to an end with the world in a much changed position since it started. The turmoil in the Middle East and Russia/Ukraine impacts on all and we hope for a quick resolution as far as the tragic hostilities are concerned. These changes are part of our ongoing evolution as individuals and companies on this earth. It should motivate to embrace change and equip us to play a major part in developing a safer explosives industry. The quote by JF Kennedy is very appropriate:
“Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
The SAFEX Governors has been very busy this year with a very successful Congress in Salzburg and Webinar 5 on MOC planned for the 27th of November chaired by Thierry Rousse and hosted by EPC. Planning for Congress XXI has also started, and it will be held in Lisbon, Portugal hosted by Orica.
A large number of initiatives have also been started with completion planned for end of 2024.
SAFEX also welcomes the following two new company members and look forward to their active participation in our activities:
- We start of as per usual with a safety message from a CEO in our community, in this case Ralf Heyneke from BME in South Africa.
- SAAMI from the USA and DBEL from South Africa have joined SAFEX as Corporate Associate Members. To introduce SAAMI, I have taken the liberty to insert an introduction from their website. DBEL is involved with the development of protective technologies for people and infrastructure, and to support astute procurement of defense and security operational requirements. In addition, the facility provides services and technical consulting for industry and mining partners, and their research facilities are used to offer world-class explosives training for a variety of government and private groups. An article outlining their services to the industry is included.
- ABIMEX a long-standing Corporate Associate in Brazil submitted an article on their activities. I had the honour of presenting at their conference a few years ago.
- NIXT in South Africa held their first very successful webinar on safety incidents learning. Two very interesting presentations are included to benefit learning in the industry : Incident Learnings- NIXT 5.pdf and NIXT Presentation 6.pdf.
- Following on from Newsletter 78, Andy Begg submits the final episode of the PETN Workshop held at Austin Powder including the last two presentations.
- The BoS Training Event at the SAFEX Congress was very successful and as a follow up the XX SAFEX Congress BOS Application Training Group submitted and article on how to keep BoS alive within your own organization.
- As the result of a Burning Ground Incident (IN23-04) reported recently and the regular occurrence of these around the globe, Dr Martin Held publishes an article as a reminder of SAFEX GPG 04. Special care should be taken in destruction of explosives waste and the Argyle eLearning Module mentioned earlier will deal in detail with this hazardous materials handling issue.
- Ken Price, a valuable member of the Expert Panel presents article asking the question:” What is the purpose of an explosives magazine? Safety or security?”. What is your view about this issue ?
- Diane Ginanne from Incitec Pivot alerts our members to the use of the SafeTEAMS programme within their group of companies. The Dyno / Incitec Pivot Limited (IPL) global behavioral based safety program provides a common language and common tools to take their safety culture to the next level. Their SafeTEAMS culture shows up through their language, beliefs, and actions. I hope you as a reader will be able implement these learnings in your organization.
- The second International Explosives Conference will be held in Edinburgh, Scotland from 18 till 20 June 2024. A flyer is included for more information or visit www.iec-2024.com .
For me it only remains to wish you a safe last few months of 2023 and for you and your families to enjoy the upcoming Festive Season. Your continued support in 2024 will remain appreciated and I wish you and your Companies a prosperous time going forward.